Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Wednesday 19 March 2008

Wednesday 19 March 2008 - Riley's Reprieve

Another bright and sunny day, so I enjoyed a short walk from Marple Bridge. Sadly, whilst I have recharged all spare holiday batteries, the one in the camera was dead, so no photos I’m afraid from today. Instead, a holiday snap – sunset on 26 February from the Mangatepopo Hut, in the shadow of ‘Mount Doom’.
Sadly the DP couldn’t join me as she had a meeting at the local PCT (Primary Care Trust) office re possible part time contract work. So I dropped her off at 10am, expecting to see her in the early afternoon (it’s a short walk away) after I’d returned from my stroll.
But it seems that when it needs to, the NHS can actually do things quite quickly, and that is indeed my experience on the medical front.
It was nevertheless something of a surprise to return to find an email from the DP, indicating that she was ‘at work’ and would be back tonight.
Brilliant – so I can resume my ‘Life of Riley’!?
I do recall immediately re-employing someone a few years ago when she appeared in our reception after unexpectedly returning from abroad, but even then it took a day to sort out her contract. Sue seems to have been set up on the PCT’s email system and put to work ‘within the hour’. Amazing! But she has to finish early tomorrow as I am actually doing a bit of work myself in the afternoon (for Rodney and Christine – met on the plane from Singapore to Christchurch when Sue and I couldn’t get seats together – it’s a small world, I had met them before, 10 years ago); she needs to come with me as ‘payment’ is by way of a meal for both of us.

No comments: