Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Coast to Coast in Three Days


I'm sitting at the Park Hotel in Montrose, waiting for Alison to return home. She has kindly offered her flat as my final sorting zone before heading off on the TGO Challenge. I'm getting into the mood for that, having enjoyed the company of 'Team Foulkes' in the fish & chip shop (I think I must have had Bloater).

Final packages have been delivered to a very cheery receptionist at the Park - they always give me the impression that they feel honoured to be involved with the Challenge (they are, of course!).

After an evening in the excellent Habitat bunkhouse in the company of a very jolly Cairngorms footpath maintenance team (say hello if you pass them), a leisurely day saw me finally reach the coast - pictured from the scenic road to Fettercairn, showing the type of terrain we will pass through on our last two days of the Challenge in a couple of weeks' time.

A 12km stroll brought final confirmation that the new HI-TEC boots are not sufficiently broken in to risk on the Challenge, so instead I'm resigned to damp feet in my old Scarpa Infinities. Never mind - it's entirely a misjudgement on my part - the new boots will probably be fine when the bruise they've given my ankle subsides.

Next stop: Oban.

Good luck on the Challenge, everyone, and I hope those who can't do it this year will be vicariously entertained by the various bloggers.

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

1 comment:

afootinthehills said...

Have a good Challenge Martin. We really must get round to applying sometime!