Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Sunday 20 January 2013

Wednesday 16 January 2013 – Dunham Winter Garden (1)

Brrr, it's cold!

Despite feeling distinctly ‘under the weather’ (norovirus for the second time this winter!), it was too nice a morning for staying at home, so my camera and I visited Dunham Massey, on the first of what I hope will be regular visits over the next two to three months. 

The weak sunshine failed to melt the frost or make much impact on the icy lake.

A partly frozen lake

The Winter Garden is just waking up.  The witch hazels have burst forth, brightening up bare branches – there are red ones as well as yellow.

Witch hazel (Hamamelis)

Whilst there is so little colour, the frosted leaves stood out, forming their own sculptures:

Frosted leavesFrosted leavesSculptural leaves

At the far end of the garden is a patch of grass where, in a couple of weeks time, snowdrops will be flowering.  But for now, these tiny aconites are the only ones braving life above the soil.

Aconites

Some of the garden’s trees and shrubs might be bare, but the red bark of the Prunus and Cornus complements the greens and browns.  Staff also keep the white bark of the silver birch grove washed – soon the white will be reflected by the snowdrops beneath the birches.

Coloured bark 
The Orangery wasn’t receiving  many warming rays, but it makes a lovely focal point.

The Orangery

Nearby, these scented blossoms had burst forth, looking particularly fragile:

Winter blossom

The snowdrops were budding, so will imminently be in flower, along with the Christmas roses.  Then the beautiful miniature irises will carpet the beds – I hope the ones I have planted will be as successful…!

14 comments:

Louise said...

Gorgeous Martin!
Sorry to hear you've been afflicted with that particular virus, hope you're feeling better soon.

Nallo Lady said...

Ah ha (perhaps 'gotcha') - this is Nallo Lady (aka Sue), victim of many ailments, making a rare contribution.

Martin seems as healthy as ever apart from some worn out bits...

Laura said...

Full marks for photos - especially the robin - stunning!

Hope you feel better soon!

AlanR said...

Love the Iris pic. So delicate.
Your pending new camera does have the Leica btw. So looking forward to seeing how good it is.

Phreerunner said...

I have the new camera, Alan. The weekend wasn't the best time to test it but I got a few pics at Tatton.

Louise said...

Having re-read my comment, of course I meant the photographs were gorgeous...

Phreerunner said...

Sue was a bit puzzled by that comment Louise, but I didn't object - there's a first time for everything, even if it was a mistake!

Louise said...

Ooops! I was really in no fit state to be trying to make any kind of coherent comment last night (http://www.gemini-challenge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/winter-winds.html) I don't know what posessed me to try. Apologies! (Although I'm sure you are gorgeous to Sue!)

Phreerunner said...

No - don't stop, Louise, we need the entertainment!

Louise said...

Ah, the reason for my being put on this earth, to provide entertainment for the crowds.

afootinthehills said...

I hope you are well on the road to recovery Martin. Those frosted leaves are wonderful.

Phreerunner said...

Aaargh, Sue will have to label her postings more clearly. Thanks for your concern, Gibson, I've never felt better (sort of) and Sue is now temporarily recovered from her recurring bouts of norovirus...

afootinthehills said...

I didn't notice 'posted by Nallo Lady'. I did something similar on Alan R's blog recently so it's obviously me who needs to read things more carefully.

So, glad you are 'temporarily recovered' Sue!

Phreerunner said...

Don't worry, Gibson, I'm sure the same will happen when Lynne does a posting. When we started the blog, Sue and I took turns in posting from New Zealand, but work commitments mean that she doesn't really want to come home and sit in front of a computer.