Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Saturday 21 October 2017

Thursday 19 October 2017 – Around Bakewell

1921river2

I had occasion to pop over to Bakewell to sort a few things for our Christmas Walk on 17 December.

Since I was passing through Stockport, I called in at Alpenstock, the outdoor gear shop where Jose and Hugh are continuing on a month to month basis pending re-letting of the unit and Jose’s retirement. I commend a visit. The weather in Stockport didn’t deter me from continuing on to the Peak District.

1901stockport

By the time I reached Whaley Bridge, the writing was on the wall – ie a huge bank of cloud to the east signalled a fair degree of wetness. I adjusted my walking plans and called in at The Crispin Inn.

1902crispin

Business concluded, I headed off to Bakewell. The town was barely visible through the gloom.

1903bakewell

A short walk along the Monsal Trail followed. It was deserted. No walkers. No cyclists.

1905bridge

I stopped under the bridge to shelter from the downpour and dream about days past.

1906train

Waking with a shudder, I made my way to the Lime Lounge Coffee House, from where the walk on 17 December will start at 10.00 am. The café opens at 9.30 and will welcome our custom.

1911cafe2

It’s very close to the road bridge over the River Wye.

1912bridge2

Nearby are two footbridges. The ducks just below the weir were relishing the weather and were using the frothy water to give themselves a good wash.

1913ducks

I continued my wanderings – up past the Parish Church and along some pleasant field paths.

1916church2

The woodland walk through Endcliff Wood from St Anselm’s school, where they are making a real mess of the surroundings, was pleasant despite the weather. Autumn is still on its way here, with plenty of leaves yet to fall despite recent windy conditions.

1917path2

Turning back towards the town, I passed an area rich in local history. The picture below was taken from Holme Bridge, a packhorse bridge built in 1664 and used by merchants who wanted to avoid the toll bridge in the centre of Bakewell. In 1777 Richard Arkwright built a cotton mill here, thereby depriving a corn mill that was a little downstream of part of its water supply. ‘Trouble at t’mill!’ as the saying goes…

1920river1

Returning home via the Cat and Fiddle, I spent some time in thick cloud. But the day was a success, and the Christmas Walk plan is now fixed – details are here. Let me know if you would like to come – you’ll need to choose from the menu.

No comments: