Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Monday 22 July 2013

Monday 22 July 2013 - Pyrenees GR10 - Day 38 - Stage 29 (variant) - Col de la Crouzette to Seix, via le Cos (a hill)

Distance: 25 km (Cum: 563 km)      

Ascent: 540 metres (Cum: 31,640 metres)
                     
Time taken: 7.0 hrs including 1.0 hrs stops                                     

Weather: sunny until late afternoon rain

I felt sticky overnight. The rain came before I got around to washing. 

I'm clean now. 

Graham and I walked separately today, but met conveniently at the bar of the Auberge du Haut Salat, in Seix, at around 3.30 pm. I was relieved to hear that Graham had encountered no serious difficulties on his adventurous route. He was a bit confused as to where he stayed last night - my old map clarified it as being Cabane du Taus and not Cabane des Espugues, where he thought he had been! 

A quick start for me this morning. I later realised why. I'd forgotten to shave! 

The lovely yellow route passed loads of great camping spots if you can put up with Stonechats and marmots,  but I'd chosen the site with the best views. Soon path GR10D was picked up and that made a leisurely descent to Pas de la Core. 

It's a road pass, and there were lots of folk setting off for day walks in various directions. Two cyclists simultaneously reached the pass from different directions. I expected some form of greeting, but they just got off to admire the views. 

With the first phone signal for a while, I spent a few minutes checking messages. Sue had booked a suite at Auberge Du Haut Salat, in Seix, so "Graham also has a bed if he wants one".

I have the rooms to myself as G prefers to camp. It's quite luxurious. Thanks Sue. 

After a while on the pass admiring the views, I set off down GR10 proper, expecting to be able to take my time and find a suitable lunch spot. It wasn't to be. The horse flies got steadily more aggressive. I met three mountain bikers who had disguised themselves as bushes in a futile effort to deter the blighters. 

There was nothing for it but to continue on, past the nice looking gite at Esbints, and down the road, nearly into Seix. It was too early to expect my 4pm suite to be ready, so a diversionary tactic was required. 

Le Core is a 1013 metre summit just south of Seix. I decided to fill the time by going up it. But for that, today's ascent statistic would have been 70 metres. A well maintained path wound seemingly repeatedly around the small hill, eventually spewing me out at a picnic table. With not a fly in sight, and the clock having sped past 1pm, this was an ideal spot to chat to Sue and enjoy the remnants of my food bag. I found an orange that I must have been lugging around for quite some time! 

It's nearly a week since Sue left for home. "I'll be at home today" had been her message. She was however just off to one of her several jobs after having received a "where are you" call.

We can do Luchon to Banyuls on a B&B basis, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to it. 

Today's picture of Seix was taken from that lunch spot.

A little further on an orientation table identified an array of Pyrenean summits, dominated by Mt Valier (2838 metres). Fine views all around. 

A quick descent through the horse fly zone led to the pleasant town of Seix (with no sex), the liveliest place since Luchon, happily outside the zone of flooding.  Or this hotel would be under mud.

I'd just about finished my beer when Graham turned up at around 3.30 pm. He was none the worse for his adventures despite storms and steep snow. Well done Graham. I was impressed. "More beer please."

Then off he went to the campsite, whilst I got down to washing some rather smelly clothing, before we reconvened for yet more beer and a nice meal in the hotel. 

Sent from our GR10 trip - see here for our itinerary

4 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

I'm still following and enjoying your non standard GR10 - all very adventurous. I've just put the second coat of paint on half of my garage doors and then had a thunderstorm and found myself standing on the workmate trying to drape a sheet down from the garage roof to protect from the rain.

Despite the wretched knee I think I may be off again next week for a bit more backpacking. More of that later I hope.

Bonne continuation.

afootinthehills said...

You are obviously having a great time Martin. Like Conrad, I'm busy at home - cutting hedges in my case - but am following your journey with intetest. Haven't a clue where you actually are though!

Phreerunner said...

Ha
Gibson, if I was clever I would be able to get a map via the phone's GPS and put a screen dump on the blog.
But I'm not clever.
We are in Seix, in the Ariège region of the midi Pyrenees, south of St Girons.
It's a lovely area, as I'm sure Conrad will agree.
Be careful with those hedge cutters, and don't fall off the work bench, Conrad...

Sir Hugh said...

The Arriège is "la pièce de resistance" of the Pyrenees.