‘Bring along a few photos’ they said. So we did. But there were some timing and technical issues that meant the memory stick stayed firmly in my pocket.
However, given that I’d taken the trouble to pull out a few images of France, and entries on these pages have been rather sparse of late (I haven’t been anywhere other than that SWOG meeting), I thought I’d post them here, and offer a small award for the person who can send me the best answers to the questions:
‘Where were we?’, and ‘What were we photographing?’ That is – what’s in the picture, where was it taken from (not necessarily France), and can you provide any additional information about why we may have been there?
For all I know, the information is embedded somewhere in the pictures and may be what is preventing all my efforts to upload them to the internet in any other way without causing Internet Explorer to crash.
The pictures are numbered 1 to 17, and entries should be sent to me at email@example.com by 13 October.
5 January 2014
There were no entries. So it's just as well that I enjoyed compiling this sequence of pictures. The answers are:
1. Carcassonne - la Cité (2004)
2. Hendaye - at the starting point of GR10 by the casino at Hendaye Plage (2013)
3. Nice - Bernar Venet Sculpture - Garden Albert - 1988 "Arc of 115°5" (19 metres long)
4. Nice - Place Massena - 7 statues in white resin, 10 metres above ground. Illuminated at night in different colours. Sculptor – Jaume Plensa
5. Monte Viso from Colle Guillian (2451 metres) – with France just in view on the far right (19/7/2008)
6. Carcassonne - la Cité, from near the campsite (2004)
7. Forclaz – the Hotel/restaurant at col de la Forclaz, on the Tour de Mont Blanc and the Walkers’ Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt
8. La Flégère Refuge, with peaks across the Chamonix valley
9. Mont Blanc and Glacier des Bossons, from Chamonix
10. Chamonix and Mont Blanc from the balcony path between Chalet de la Flégère and Les Chéserys
11. L’Aiguille du Midi – 3842 metres – from Chamonix
12. Ibex on the French/Italian border near Colle ouest de Sabbione (4/7/2008)
13. Mont Blanc massif from Rifugio Bonatti
14. Mer de Glace and Les Drus from just below Lac Blanc
15. Glacier d’Argentière from above the Chéserys lakes
16. Relaxing at a small lake on the path to Lac Blanc from Flégère
17. Panorama from Rifugio Walter Bonatti, with Grandes Jorasses – 4208 metres