There was a deep contrast between our two journeys down Highway 1 to Banff. The first, a few days ago, was completed in thick smoke and stifling temperatures, finishing at a comfortable campsite. The second was in rain, at 6°C, and finished at a comfortable motel. The campsite would have been a miserable place then.
The Jump Start café in Banff was in need of air conditioning on our first visit - the heater was on when we revisited it.
On our first visit no mountains were visible due to smoke. Second time round they were largely obscured by cloud, but the smoke was either highly diminished or even completely gone.
• A final view of Lake O'Hara in the rain on Day 41
• The Rockies from a rainy Highway 1
• The Bow River at Banff - two pictures from the same spot
• Dracula's Castle at Banff
• Sue explores the underground passageway from Transylvania
• A view from outside our motel