Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Monday 22 May 2023

Monday 22 May 2023 - Creag Bhalg

 


Today we drove the six miles up to Linn of Dee. Sue then went pedalling off to White Bridge, from where she nipped up Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mòr.

I set off on foot and crossed the bridge over Lui Water before following the east bank of the river to the next bridge. Advertised as 'a pleasant stroll', this tussocky route took me almost an hour! There were nice riverside views to compensate.

Then a straightforward ascent, on a track until the final wearying 500 metres or so, to the summit of Creag Bhalg.


There were great views all around. I joined another chap with a sore knee for a while in the calm warmth of the summit.

After continuing to a subsidiary summit with views down to Braemar, a thin trod led down to a small pylon and a good track. I watched a white tailed eagle for a while. It had a massive wingspan and was being mobbed by smaller birds. 

The track descended above and past Mar Lodge, and enjoyed good views across the green fields of Inverey.


On reaching the car, I finished the lunch I'd started on the summit before getting my bike out for the 30 minute ride back to Braemar.

Looking back, my hill is to the right in the next picture. 


I got back to base at 2:30, and Sue followed, arriving home from her mad dash at around 5:30.

No comments: