Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Wednesday 21 June 2023

Tuesday 20 June 2023 - Lyme Park Midsummer Trail 10K



Sue and I enjoy a midsummer celebration. In the old days I would watch sunrise from the top of Helvellyn with Jim (whom I visited last week) and others. Then we took to an evening ascent of the Old Man of Coniston and kipped at Jim and Cathy's house by Coniston Water before heading to work the next day. More recently we chose evening visits to South Lakes outlier hills. Times move on, and this year Sue and I chose to celebrate by way of this 10km event in nearby Lyme Park.

It was a lovely warm evening, just right for a gentle run. A selfie was taken, then pictures in front of the hall.



Out of 924 entrants, just 693 turned up despite the lovely conditions. Sue went forward and I started at the back, from the entrance to the hall. The first 1.5 km took us gently downhill - speed limited by the congestion on the path, then there was a long uphill section to The Cage. I walked up here, pausing to take some photos, ahead and behind.




After that, a steepish downhill lost most of the height gained, then a left turn took us on a good track to Kennel Wood, where the ground got very lumpy and the presence of a wall stile stalled the run. Everyone queued up in the order in which they arrived. I was effectively stationary for nearly six minutes.


After pleasant woodland, and care needed to avoid slipping on tree roots, a very steep ascent to the Lantern had most of the people around me walking again. The resident violinist got slowly closer. This was a highlight of the run - he was very good.


After more delightful woodland we eventually emerged at a gate with good views to central Manchester.





The descent took us all the way down to the car park, where we met runners approaching the finish, 2.5 km ahead of us. I got a wave from Anthony Harrison, who was a couple of minutes ahead of Sue.


I think the next two photos were taken somewhere on this final 2.5 km loop, perhaps Pursefield Wood or Hase Bank Wood - Sue's picture was taken about 15 minutes before mine.



Another high point was reached, before a lovely fast downhill section.



After another short woodland ascent through Hase Bank Wood that I've often cycled up, the last km was a fast downhill experience, taking me just 5 minutes. The time from the start shows 1:16:51, but my chip time, in position 535 out of 693 was 1:15:35, including the 6 minute delay. I was 6th out of 6 in my age group, though I was ahead of many folk in younger age categories!


Sixteen minutes earlier, Sue had managed a very creditable chip time of 59:51, coming 2nd out of 20 in her VW55 age category.


The finishing area was quite busy.


We got a marshall to take an 'after' photo. Despite the rough nature of the course, with slippery tree roots, holes in the path, congestion and other obstacles, we saw no evidence of any fallers or injuries. Well done, everyone!


Here's the 10 km route (click on the image to enlarge it), including over 200 metres ascent. Very enjoyable. We may do it again next year.


2 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

Looks good on the map. I notice the North Cheshire Way runs close by to the west, not one I've heard of before.

Phreerunner said...

If it's a footpath, it's probably a 'Way'!