Martin in Gatineau Park - 2018

Martin in Gatineau Park - 2018

Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Tuesday 20 May 2014 - TGO Challenge - Day 12 - Tarfside to Burn of Badymicks

Route: as planned, but omitting the diversion to The Retreat, and taking a 2 km shortcut on the route up to Mount Een. A very easy but enjoyable day

Distance: 16 km (Cum: 292)

Ascent: 700 metres (Cum: 11000)

Time taken: 5.5 hrs including 1.3 hrs breaks

Weather: mist at 500 metres lifted slowly, leaving a fine sunny day

Click on the link below (Day 12) for details of my planned route:

Last night it was good to see various folk including JD and Marie, Ann and Alvar, and the other helpers at St Drostans, as well as some of the many Challengers who were passing through. Tonight will be much busier for them as the masses pass through. 

The evening antics of screaming oystercatchers were replaced this morning by the sound of cooing pigeons and Andy's shuffles. And a cuckoo.

St Drostans provided a bacon butty and a selection of scones and cakes for breakfast, which was enjoyed in a leisurely fashion before starting the serious business of the day at around 9 am. 

I started briefly with Rob Jones, who carried on along the road as I took the track that would lead me to Mount Battock, via the lesser summits of Mount Een (reached by a freshly bulldozed track to Craig Soales from Mile Cairn rather than by my planned route via Blackcraigs), Bennygray and Wester Cairn. 

Maggie Hems was plodding along behind me and reached the summit shortly before I left at 12.30, having enjoyed a brew of hot chocolate in the shelter of the substantial windbreak. 

It had been a cool morning with a persistent easterly breeze. Aided by the sun, this breeze eventually caused the low cloud to disperse, leaving another warm, sunny day suitable for t-shirts. 

I'd seen lots of white cloudberry flowers (pictured) on the ascent. I may earlier have noted these as a different species but on this occasion a passing motorist (!) confirmed my guess.

Golden plovers padded up the path ahead of me, presumably leading me away from their nests.

After leaving Maggie it was an easy stroll down tracks with views towards Clachnaben (pictured) to the confluence of the Burn of Badymicks and the Water of Dye, where I set up camp exactly as planned. 

It was 2.20 pm.

A lovely lazy afternoon saw me chatting to Keith, Charles and Freddie as they passed by from the Water of Dye direction, and Maggie as she followed me down Mount Battock. They were all heading to nearby Charr bothy, but I'm quite happy here.

There was no phone signal today, even from the 778 metre summit. Hopefully I'll find one tomorrow. 

Sent from somewhere in the Fetteresso Forest area

No comments: