Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Thursday 17 January 2008

Tuesday 15 January 2008 - Sir Edmund Hillary (1919 – 2008)

It would be remiss of me to ignore the death last week of Sir Edmund Hillary. His moment of fame came on 29 May 1953, when he and Sherpa Tenzing were the first men to reach the summit of Everest (assuming Mallory and Irvine didn’t make it).
I think I have a vague recollection of the event, but I was too young to clearly recall it. A glance at my bookshelf indicates that over the years I have collected a couple of copies of John Hunt’s ‘The Ascent of Everest’, including a first edition. Oh to find the time to read it again – it may be my previous reading of the book that makes me think I can recall the actual event.
I’m not qualified to comment of Hillary’s life, but his achievements are recorded here, Wikipedia has a comprehensive entry here, and Cameron McNeedsaSpellcheckerNeish has written a piece here. I found them all worth reading.

No comments: