Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Sunday 30 October 2011

Sunday 30 October 2011 - Beinn Trilleachan

Last night's festivities went well. Roger Smith (standing in for his successor) announced that there are 426 entries for next year's TGO Challenge, so as the limit is 330 there will be a draw for places in early November. Good luck with that, everyone.

Dancing took place in a professional manner, accompanied by a noisy singer. So after the excellent meal Roger B and I adjourned our delicate knees to the bar area, from which we operated a Respite Centre for tired or reluctant dancers. We were aided by a valued assistant, Rod Ross, and provided succour to a variety of folk before they got dragged away by their better halves.

We needed at least the extra hour this morning, and I've been grateful for Graham's driving today. I've been a bit tired.

We headed off in the same direction as yesterday, this time to the road head. A new pier has been built there to enable the forest (250,000 tonnes of it) to be taken away by boat - much preferable to clogging up the roads.

Deer lingered beside the road, allowing us to pass within inches of them. And the daft gander of Druimachoish chased us down the road. It was still raining.

By the time (10.15) we were ready to set off along the forest edge path from Gualachulain, the sun was emerging! We enjoyed a waterproof free ascent in blinding sunshine to point 767 above the Trilleachan Slabs, from where the above picture of Graham, backed by Glen Etive was taken.

After a slither down the slabs, it was an easy stroll along the ridge to the 839 metre summit of Beinn Trilleachan. We even enjoyed some views before heading to a nearby sheltered spot for lunch. During our sojourn we were rudely interupted by splashes in our cups. The three hour break in the weather was over; waterproofs were donned for a sweaty descent in highly humid conditions. I managed to avoid further damage to a knee I jarred yesterday (I've been unable to match Graham's pace all weekend), and we were safely back at sea level by 3pm. As yesterday, we saw nobody else out walking.

It had been another excellent day out, taking full advantage of the short gap in the rain, which is lashing the hotel window as I write.

I'll add a few more pics in due course - we return home tomorrow.

Goodbye from wet and warm Fort William.


Alan Sloman said...

Four Hundred And Twenty Six: AAAGGGHHH! We're doomed!

(nice walk, btw) :-)

word = "vallym" - close enough

afootinthehills said...

It's a grand hill and I well remember some happy(and some worrying)days on The Slabs. Not in the wet though!