Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Wednesday 20 March 2013 – Dunham Winter Garden (6)

20485Snowdrops

Hello!  Nallo Lady here again!  After delivering a lecture to undergraduates at Manchester University, and having an unexpected coffee (and cake!) with a colleague I’d worked with in 1993-4, it was almost lunchtime by the time I arrived at Dunham.

Note: I haven’t added tags to these photos, in the interests of time. 

20478Hellebore

As you can see by the folded nature of the wood anemone leaves, these are just emerging and only one or two flowers were out:

20476WoodAnemone

20482Yellow

These lovely long-lasting red flowers belong to Pieris japonica ‘Valley Valentine’:

20483Pieris

This beautiful snowdrop (Galanthus spindlestone surprise?), also pictured at the top, has orange stamens and a yellow bulb:

20486Snowdrop

0489Snowdrop

The variety of hellebores continues to amaze me but many people will miss the interest unless they turn the flower heads up from their natural hanging position.

20493Hellebore

20497Hellebore

20500Hellebore

Anemone blanda:

20502Anemone

Primula vulgaris:

20505Primula

Whilst I was taking photos, a guide was talking to his group, “the rabbits have eaten 4,000 irises this year”. Well, I made sure I captured this stunning example before the rabbits could devour it!  Perhaps some rabbit-proofing of the garden is necessary?

20508Iris

Scilla siberia ‘Spring Beauty’ is just coming into flower, the buds lined up to open:

20506Scilla

Both these shrubs indicate that spring is around the corner, but when will this cold weather cease?  The east wind has brought snow here this morning, and although not unusual at this time of year, it is has been persistently cold this month.

20510Shrub

20516Daphne

Roll on the weather to match the flowers!

20511Daffs

2 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

I know nothing about gardening but I like your pics. Are those snowdrops by any chance Sandersii? My friend Pete who I walk with on Thursdays and his wife are fanatical gardeners and he was telling me about very expensive rare snowdrops yesterday, and in particular Sandersii.

Anonymous said...

A quick check on Google images suggests you could be right! Nallo Lady