Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Thursday 30 January 2014

TGO Challenge 2014 – A Sociable Route

3002tgoend

Last year, I was pleased to meet Pete Varley at Pennan, and subsequently at our Fraserburgh finish, where we are pictured trying to maintain an upright position in the strong wind.

Pete was the fifth Challenger I met on my 230 mile stroll from Plockton.

This year I’ve drafted a much more sociable route, low level as last year, from Morar to Dunnottar Castle – 222 miles with 14,500 metres ascent, if it goes to plan, taking in 31 summits of varying altitude along the way, but less than 12 Munros and Corbetts – summits over 2,500 feet – so officially ‘low level’.

The route passes through numerous Challenge ‘hotspots’ so I’m guaranteed to encounter up to 200 Challengers en route this year, just by way of a contrast.

3001TGOrouteweb

It’s basically as follows:

Morar (Friday) > Glendessarry > Torness (Sunday) > Glen Turret > Creag Meagaidh > Dalwhinnie (Wednesday)> Tarf Water > Bynack Lodge > Braemar (Saturday) > Ballater (Sunday) > Tarfside (Monday) > Mount Battock > Charr > Elf Hill (Fetteresso) > Dunnottar Castle (Thursday)

Thanks go to Colin Tock for vetting the route and providing words of advice and encouragement

Roll on May…

9 comments:

John J said...

I'm told that getting too sociable on the Challenge can lead to difficulties in staying vertical....it's the wind you know.
It certainly looks like a pleasant route, we may cross paths briefly around Braemar.
Catch up soon.
Honest.
JJ

Phreerunner said...

Thanks JJ, I'll do my best to dodge the wind!
'Catch up soon' - perhaps, but you do need to travel well...

Louise said...

You may well bump into Ls Belles around Braemar, if you go looking for cake...Enjoy your sociable crossing!

Phreerunner said...

My 'sociable crossing' may even run to a stash of cake in Braemar, Louise!

AlanR said...

Good luck and all the best for a sunny crossing.

Martin Rye said...

Enjoy the social hike Martin.

John said...

I guess it takes many crossings to learn all the sociable spots in the middle of nowhere. My first TGO and excitement is building. Why did I leave it so long ?

mountain marathon said...

aaargh .....
you are going through thedreaded Fettaresso Forest, people have disappeared in there and not come out for days!

Phreerunner said...

Yes Mike, but I'm confident given the expert advice from one of my many mentors - Humphrey - that I may survive, and even enjoy it.
Or did I do something to upset HMP3? Hmmm...