Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Tuesday 19 June 2012 - A Backpack! - Staveley to Patterdale

At last, a 'proper' backpack, but as Sue is at work I've been on my own today.

The Trans-Pennine Express and a local train delivered me efficiently to Staveley by 9.30, from where I enjoyed a delightful stroll north to Patterdale, via Sallows, Yoke, Ill Bell, Froswick, Thornthwaite Beacon, Stony Cove Pike, John Bell's Banner, and Hartsop Dodd.

A fine high level route.

I'd planned a wild camp, but the attraction of a beer in the White Lion and a flat 'pitch' on a lawn won the day.

Whilst there was evidence of showery weather as I travelled north, the sun shone as I set off from Staveley on the gentle - until the final kilometre - ascent of Sallows, the first of today's eight 'high points according to Bill' (Birkett).

My walk continued fairly joyously in lovely weather, despite a heavier pack than that to which I have softened to in recent weeks. I passed above a major traffic accident in the Kirkstone area, and heard lots of cuckoos as I wandered over the remaining lumps and bumps and down to Hartsop and the fleshpots of Patterdale, for Mike and Marian's warm welcome and freshly mown lawn.

Obi 1P was soon up - not too midgy - and after dinner a stroll to the White Lion revealed my companions for tomorrow, Andrew and Gary, who are on the 'Coast to Coast' (C2C) route.

Whilst I saw a smattering of folk, they weren't close enough to act as photographic foregrounds, so today's snaps comprise mountain scenery. Each picture is different. To the connoisseur! Those chosen for this posting are the view of Hartsop and beyond from the descent of Hartsop Dodd, and Patterdale from a bridge over the river that runs past the village.

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

4 comments:

AlanR said...

It's a lovely route and with the good weather for a change. Shh. All the better.
So Obi1 gets an outing.

afootinthehills said...

Please leave some reasonable weather for our visit in July Martin. Enjoy your trip.

Howellsey said...

I have very fond memories of the steak and kidney pudding at the White Lion on my Coast to Coast. I was in the Lakes on Monday and wild camped at Eel Tarn near Boot, bloody beautiful!!

Gayle said...

Cuckoos - now there's something I'm not missing over here! (posted from a laundromat in the town of Lone Pine)