Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Thursday 22 November 2018

Thursday 22 November 2018 – Around Acton Bridge

2201TrentMersey1

Déjà vu? Yes, this a repeat of the walk I did with Andrew on 19 October, on which I reported here.

Today’s visit was for the purpose of checking out Jen Darling’s draft wording for the third edition of her ‘Pub Walks in Cheshire’ book. I hope my comments (not included here) will be of value to her.

Autumn has come on apace in the past five weeks. Frost on the stiles and gateposts got onto my gloves and made the ink run on my paperwork. So the walker you saw today wearing only one glove was me. Not that I saw anyone other than a couple of well wrapped dog walkers.

Sleeping on a barge at this time of year has me shivering at the very thought!

2202TrentMersey2

The two pictures above were the first taken with my new S9 phone, with its ‘SM-G960F’ camera. The colours actually seem less vibrant than those from the S5 phone. The photo below, from bridge 110, was taken with my old Lumix FT4 waterproof camera. It still performs well.

2203TrentMersey3

Neither camera was equipped for pictures of birds, but having watched moorhens squabbling as a kingfisher flew past while I was on the towpath next to the A49 road, I decided to include this image of a Dutton Locks heron, who nervously and cautiously moved away from me as I observed from the other side of the river.

2204DuttonLocks

It was a dull day, a recurring feature of these ‘Jen Darling recce’ excursions, but never mind, the air was fresh and the scenery was pleasing.

As I descended towards Acton Brook from Ainsworth Lane the sun attempted to make an appearance. Time for another couple of ‘shots’ with the new phone camera.

2205ActonBrook12206ActonBrook2

There are further illustrations from the route in my earlier report.

I wondered about testing a footpath from SJ 582 748 to SJ 584 745, which would eliminate 400 metres of walking beside a busy road, but it crosses a ploughed field that would be unpleasant to walk across. Farmer 1 – Walkers 0.

A visit to the Leigh Arms pub wasn’t possible today. Extensive refurbishments are in progress, with the re-opening ceremony taking place on 6 December.

2207LeighArms

Here’s the route – 10 km with about 100 metres of ascent (ie a flat walk), that walkers should manage to complete in 2 to 3 hours.

2210route

Tomorrow: meet at the Anderton Boat Lift Visitor Centre (SJ 647 752) at 10 am for a fairly flat 12 km in a similar area.

No comments: