Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Friday 1 May 2020

Our Wood Pigeons

 
Many people seem to have a problem with Wood Pigeons, but I find their cooing quite soothing, and their antics around the feeder can be hilarious. They spend a lot of time sitting on the fence waiting for a 'food opportunity'.
 
I've also spotted them, from our bedroom window, enjoying next door's bird bath, which they sit in for ages, cleaning themselves meticulously.
 
 
 
It's nice to see these birds looking so happy.
 
Meanwhile, there is usually a Robin in the garden, as well as a Coal Tit and a Blackcap, but they move too quickly for my camera at present, and I'm hoping the Collared Doves that I see nearby may pay us a visit sometime.

2 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

I was wondering the other day about robins and why they are so tame when most other birds are just the opposite. I suppose I could Google to find out or write to Chris Packham but a reply from one of your knowledgeable readers would be more welcome.

Phreerunner said...

Conrad, I'm not sure whether any of my regular readers is 'expert' enough to comment, but they are welcome to try....

I commend Stephen Moss's book: 'The Robin: A Biography'. It's a while since I read it, but I suspect it will offer some clues. Perhaps the UK's robins have evolved since the Victorian era when the feeding of wild birds first attracted them to our gardens. They have also worked out that some of their favourite morsels are revealed very close to gardening humans who themselves pose no threat.

It's interesting to note that in much of mainland Europe the robin is a shy woodland bird, and the birds that are found in gardens are more likely to be redstarts and nightingales.

You could write a book on this subject - as Stephen Moss, and those in his extensive bibliography, have demonstrated...