Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Friday 1 October 2021

London Marathon - a trip to the big smoke


Today we enjoyed clear roads for all but the last half mile of our 206 mile journey from Timperley to Barking, where the Ibis Hotel is our home for three nights for about £200.

Traffic heading north wasn't so lucky, with long hold ups due to a breakdown and a dramatic car fire that saw the vehicle explode on the opposite carriageway as we headed south. We hope it's clear on Monday.

Once installed, we left the car in the car park for the duration of our stay and braved the London Underground and the Docklands Light Railway for a trip to the Excel centre to carry out Marathon admin such as dropping off clothing to be sent to the finish, and collecting my bibs; one for the front with my number on it (27719), and another for my back with my name and status in the 'Age Group World Championships' in which I appear to be competing. 

Not that I'll get a high ranking, despite having two timing chips, for reasons that will become apparent.


Thanks to everyone who has donated. I'm getting close to the final target so will nag people no further.

There's a Tesco Extra round the corner, and no evidence of a decent restaurant nearby, so Sue has been foraging for quiche and pasta salads, etc, duly consumed in our room.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Good luck! I hope you have a fun time in the race in spite of poorly footedness.

Jean O’Tipe said...

Yo. Go. Enjoy
Cary