Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Sunday 7 January 2024

Running and eating our way into 2024



Saturday 30 December 2023

Sue and I enjoyed a rather damp final Wythenshawe parkrun of the year with an assortment of friends. Sue is pictured above before the start with Martha and the 'terrible twins'.

Below, at the back of the 193 runners, about to set off. I came in position 181, in a leisurely 43:30 for the 5 km. I was wearing full waterproofs and bulky trail shoes - that's my excuse, anyway.


Full results are here. No other pictures were taken. I have plenty of that venue in better weather.

Sunday 31 December 2023

Not needed as a volunteer, and wearing a waterproof jacket but not the trousers that were deployed yesterday, I 'flew' around the 5 km course in 29:48, my quickest for several months. After last week's surprise massive attendance, things were back to normal with a manageable 92 participants, including 34 who turned around at the 1 km point.

Here's Paul, fresh from his trip to sunnier climes, elocuting his pre run briefing.



Only three pictures were taken - the picture below is of a group of legends whose stories could probably fill an entertaining book.


Later, Sue and I met up with our 'Center Parcs Friends' in Adlington for a sumptuous meal to which everyone contributed.

Lyn provided a dainty little pre-starter - warm red pepper soup with star biscuits, as well as several plates full of pre meal 'nibbles'.



Sue provided some smoked mackerel pate and melba toast.



Robert served up a delicious main course of Lancashire hotpot and assorted vegetables.



There was a choice of desserts after a video/slideshow involving cycling in Mallorca, and a group photo as we saw in the New Year.


Monday 1 January 2024

A New Year's Day walk is traditional for me and Sue, and so in recent years has been a parkrun. This year the parkrun took a back seat to a welcome lie in at Lyn and Robert's house, and by the time we rose Robert had cracked the washing up!

We were invited for more food, by way of an excellent buffet at Nell's house in Chorlton, so today's exercise found us walking 7.5 km, first on the canal towpath, then through Longford Park, to reach our next meal, with ten or so family members. No photos were taken at our destination - we have lots of grandchildren photos anyway, so NYD pictures are limited to those taken beside the canal as it passes above the River Mersey in Stretford. The river was full, but luckily was not in the flood conditions that many places in the UK are currently experiencing.



Saturday 6 January 2024

Fast forward (past a trip to Center Parcs recorded separately) to the first Saturday in 2024 and the inevitable parkrun.

Sue chose instead to go on a bell ringing course, and setting off from home I received a message announcing the cancellation of Wythenshawe parkrun due to flooding and ice.

So I joined 455 others at Fletcher Moss parkrun, where I bumped into Greg, but no other familiar faces (though I'm sure I missed some in the melee).

It had been sunny at home, but the Mersey Valley was shrouded in fog. I took just three snaps from the back of the congested field before setting off, and that was that. 32:43 for my first parkrun of the year, and happily first in my age group. Full results are here. So far as I can see, it was the second highest attendance in their 188 events. Lots of New Year's Resolutions?




Sunday 7 January 2024

The first Community Run of the year saw me marshaling whilst Sue ran round at a modest pace. Then I jogged home - exactly 5 km by a direct mainly off road route - in 40 minutes, whilst Sue did some more bell ringing. The camera was left at home - a shame as the conditions were atmospherically sunny.

No comments: