A sunny day for a change. Sue set off to the other end of Glencoe, leaving me to unlock my bike and embark on a 40 km ride to Gairlochy and Fort William.
Near the start, a tall memorial post champions the achievements of Colonel John Cameron at Waterloo. This is positioned outside Kilmallie Parish Church, which curiously appears to have a more modern house attached to it.
Good views from the mobile homes.
I took the minor road past Taigh Moy, where we stayed for a week in May. Nearly made 30mph on the descent to Gairlochy.
Good views back to The Ben, the cloud over which withered as the morning progressed.
It's an easy return via Corpach.
Meanwhile, Sue had a great day on two Munros. She sent me a picture of her tea break at 566 metres.
An hour's drive from Linnhe Lochside brought me to the car park at the Glencoe Mountain Resort from where I set out at 9.30am. The SMC guide describes an anticlockwise circuit of Creise and Meall a’ Bhuiridh, so I headed west on a small path. Luckily I was wearing gaiters as my foot sunk to almost the knee in some soft bog! The waterfalls cascading down the valley looked beautiful in the sun, and crossing the river proved uneventful.
The rocky spur of Stob a’ Ghlais Choire was ‘sporting’ as I chose a line directly up the rock, stowing poles until I was walking again. This top gives great views over Glencoe and Buachaille Etive Mor.
From there it was an easy slope to the summit of Creise (1,100m) where I met a man from Stirling. He was one of only six people I met on these Munros today.
As the day was so good, I continued to the other Top (1,099m) which used to be the Munro until resurveyed in 1981). I had lunch with a view across Rannoch Moor, and even the Ben shrugged off its summit cloud.
The gentleman I met on this section was 44 Munros short of his 4th round and was meandering very gently.
I retraced to Mam Coire Easain (Pt 1070m) then dropped steeply off the edge onto the spur that leads to Meall a’ Bhuiridh (1,108m).
The descent was stony, but straightforward until the path steepened for the final section beneath the chairlift which was bringing people up, of whom some were walking up Creag Dhubh for the views.
As I returned to the car (3.50pm), weary West Highland Way walkers, some of whom will be staying in the pods, were arriving.
A great day out, with blue skies and excellent views (13km, 1,050m ascent).
The rocky spur of Stob a’ Ghlais Choire was ‘sporting’ as I chose a line directly up the rock, stowing poles until I was walking again. This top gives great views over Glencoe and Buachaille Etive Mor.
From there it was an easy slope to the summit of Creise (1,100m) where I met a man from Stirling. He was one of only six people I met on these Munros today.
As the day was so good, I continued to the other Top (1,099m) which used to be the Munro until resurveyed in 1981). I had lunch with a view across Rannoch Moor, and even the Ben shrugged off its summit cloud.
The gentleman I met on this section was 44 Munros short of his 4th round and was meandering very gently.
I retraced to Mam Coire Easain (Pt 1070m) then dropped steeply off the edge onto the spur that leads to Meall a’ Bhuiridh (1,108m).
The descent was stony, but straightforward until the path steepened for the final section beneath the chairlift which was bringing people up, of whom some were walking up Creag Dhubh for the views.
As I returned to the car (3.50pm), weary West Highland Way walkers, some of whom will be staying in the pods, were arriving.
A great day out, with blue skies and excellent views (13km, 1,050m ascent).






.jpg)





No comments:
Post a Comment