Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Tuesday 2 June 2009

Tuesday 2 June 2009 - More Summer

You're probably saturated by my interim entries, so I'll try to keep this short, whilst the fumes from my hot chocolate waft across the campsite.

I didn't see anyone (except in distant cars) until lunch time. Where was everyone? It's not as if I had a lie in.

The Naked Rambler would certainly have enjoyed this quiet route in the hot weather. He would not have been grumpy at all.

It was another perfect summer's day, and a lovely route to this (High Laning) campsite in Dent. Hardly any tarmac, and those firm surfaces I did find were hardly swamped by traffic.

There were no insects so the tent remained open all night. Hot air balloonists had enjoyed the views from above. As no doubt did the trilling curlew and the distant cuckoo that woke me from a deep sleep this morning.

I was happily cool for all of ten minutes before the sun crept up. It probably soon woke a swan and a heron that were snoozing next to each other by a small lake.

A light mist hung over distant Kendal as I passed one of the four boundary stones of Low Taggleshaw - a four acre tranche of land awarded in perpetuity to the local parishes by the Enclosures Act of 1838, 'for recreation and exercise'. I should have camped there.

I saw quite a few deer, and the land of buttercups is being invaded by clover, umbellifers, ribwort plantain, greater stitchwort, meadow cranesbill, and many more.

Sedbergh is 'nice but strange' - dominated by its public school. It must be a great place for village cricket. I counted at least five pitches.

Dent, where we arrived from pretty paths like the one on the left of the picture above, is quiet. I'm resisting the temptation to join two bikers for a drink. They look tired - wouldn't want them falling asleep on one, would we?

ZzzzzzzzzzzZ

No comments: