Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Sunday 12 March 2017

An evening stroll, and a parkrun

1010route

Friday night saw three of us on the last of our current series of evening walks, from the Drum and Monkey pub in Alderley Edge. Despite the full moon I failed to take any pictures that can be reproduced here, and there are already loads of pictures of Alderley Edge on these pages, so I’ll make do with a picture of our short route, above, from which you might notice that I set off in the wrong direction and had to backtrack. Andrew and Sue had wondered about the direction I was taking, but had said nothing, assuming it to be a new route.

There was lots of deep mud and light pollution from highly illuminated properties on the loop to the south of the B5087, but we managed to get round without any further injuries.

Perhaps our next evening walk will be in daylight?…

Saturday morning found us cycling to Wythenshawe parkrun, before heading up to Bacup for an afternoon with Jessica.

My new Salomon Speedcross 4 shoes were the envy of the crowd!

1101parkrun1

The shoes performed well, bringing me home just in front of the running legend known as Ken Burgess, who struggled round despite a knee problem.

1102parkrunken

Sue managed to finish in a little over 30 minutes, though she couldn’t hold off a determined looking Ron in the finishing straight. Ron’s in training for a marathon, and close to his PB despite the slow course and conditions.

1103parkrun3

Here’s the melee at the finish. Can you spot Sue?

1104parkrunfinish

As usual, we adjourned for coffees at the courtyard tea room, where we were joined by an assortment of ‘cripples’. (Jeanette – can’t run but can cycle; Cary – can’t lift settees without damaging his back.)

1105parkruncafe

Today’s course was a wet weather one that is generally slower, for various reasons, than the normal course. It’s known as the ‘Bowtie’ course. I wonder why.

1106parkrunroute

Results are here. Thanks to Paul for keeping me company around the first lap before speeding into the distance. My new shoes worked well, and I suffered none of the usual slippage – I’d have gone faster if I didn’t have to hold one arm as if it is in a sling as a result of the shoulder damaged in Estonia; but it is slowly getting better.

No comments: