Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Saturday 15 April 2017

The Mobberley 8 – A Good Friday Tradition (2)

1407bird2

I wrote about this in 2011 – see here, so I won’t go on at too much length about being led astray yet again by another villager from Timperley…

Guest of honour and Supreme Leader was undoubtedly Kim Jong-in, who proceeded to throw his weight around and threaten doom on anyone who disagreed with him.

1401KimJongun1

The wall shown below came complete with a marker pen on which insults to K J-in and others could be composed with anonymity (and animosity).

1402KinJongun2

This man (does he have unusually large hands, or is that a strangely small glass?) arrived with helmeted protection and a radioactive jacket. Other participants kept a wide berth.

1403JJ

Warranting an even wider berth, this farting chicken produced smells that reminded me of Form 1 history lessons at Guisborough Grammar School. (Our teacher, Mr Stephenson, never did gain control.)

1404chicken

The Frozen Mop is the second of about six pubs now visited by stalwarts of The Mobberley 8. About 50 to 100 people, mainly on bicycles, attend the event. Here, one of the joint presidents summons reinforcements from ‘rentacrowd’. His imaginative efforts to book a striptease unicyclist were however doomed to failure thanks to one of Mobberley Parish Council’s obscure by-laws. (Shame.)

1405mop

I followed the convoy of bikes to the Bird in Hand, just down the road from the ‘Mop’. Good beer, and half the price (£2 a pint) at the Bird in Hand, an excellent spot.

The bikes used by attendees were not all state of the art, but included some classic models.

1408brookes

My visit was somewhat fleeting, as I was only reminded of the event via an email from JJ at 10.30, and as the cycling route from Timperley was not off road, discretion regarding alcohol intake was warranted. It worked well – I set off after the rain had stopped, and I was home before it started again. Others entering more whole-heartedly into the occasion may not have been so lucky.

Here’s my 33 km route – click on the image to enlarge it a bit.

1499route

Thanks to JJ for reminding me about this, and I’m sorry that my visit was rather brief.

2 comments:

John J said...

There's always next year....
Unfortunately I got rather soggy on the return leg...but I did from the Railway in Mobberley to Timperley in 23 minutes!

Phreerunner said...

Haha, I thought you might get a bit damp. I hope your instruments survived. I would never have kept up with you on that speedy return.