Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Friday 16 July 2021

Thursday 15 July 2021 - Sale Sizzler 3

I reported on this year's first Sale Sizzler here.

We missed the second race - we were in Scotland.

This was the third event in this year's series, on a beautifully sunny evening in the park. 418 runners took part.

Sue and I expected to be slow, not having been for a run for more than a week. However, Sue did a PB and finished well ahead of me. I had a jolly time, starting right at the back and overtaking a few people. You may need to click on the above image to see it properly.

The start and finish involves a lap around the lovely track, shown below as folk congregate at the start.


At 7:20 everyone made their way to their socially distanced start positions, based on their estimated finishing times.



I started right at the back, behind Mark and Andy.


The gun went off at 7:30 and the leaders disappeared down the track, whilst those of us at the back shuffled to the start, narrowly avoiding the front runners as they completed their lap on the track and left the stadium.

Starting at the back and speeding up every kilometre has its advantages. Only one person passed me apart from the leading 50 or 60 folk who lapped me.


At 8pm prompt, Fechin went through his usual routine of awarding prizes to the winners in each age category. As usual, I was second in the 70-74 category. A club runner finishes ahead of me every time - always a different person, and always well ahead.


2 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

Would that my knees would let me have a go but I would rather preserve what's left in them for my walks. I can see that there is much more to enjoy in these events than the running itself.

Phreerunner said...

You're correct Conrad, it's a fraternity a bit like the TGO Challenge fraternity, except that we get to see each other more often. Invariably I chat with complete strangers at the start, and often on the way round.