Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Monday 31 October 2022

29/30 October 2022 - Wythenshawe parkrun #497, and a Community Run



On a rainy morning I was marshaling for the 193 participants in the 497th running of this event. I was positioned at 'Far Bridge', pictured above, where the runners and walkers arrive on the right hand side of the hedge, slide over the slippery metallic surface of a bridge, and turn 180 degrees for the final kilometre beside the left hand side of the hedge and on to the finish.

In the next picture, the leader in white is shortly to lap the skeleton that is about to reach the slithery right turn over the bridge.


Here's the leader, Rob Jackson...


... closely followed by Samuel Caddick, a first timer here.


Jeanette would not normally be lapped - she was ahead of me last week - but a stress fracture is laying her low and even doing the 5km with walking poles may not have been a good idea.


Others were enjoying plodding through the mud. I could have sold quite a few trail shoes today, as ordinary trainers weren't providing the necessary grip.


Thankfully the rain had stopped, but by the time I'd walked a kilometre back to the finish along with the tail walker's entourage, the cakes - if there were any - and most people had gone home, or to the cafe. Thanks to Sue for getting me a coffee, and luckily I had specs on me that helped when the tokens were presented to us for sorting.

Full results are here.


Sunday morning found me at a different place in Wythenshawe Park, marshaling for the Community Run, for which an excellent showing of 99 participants turned out for the 2km and the 5km routes. I was delegated to stand in the middle of a woodland section where 'management' is concerned to protect any young children doing the 2km route on their own. The marshaling point is beside the 'scary underpants'. The youngsters don't seem to find these scary at all - they cause some amusement!

The leader of the 5km runners had gained a good lead here, after less than a kilometre.


Others blew past at a fast pace.



The skeletons gave the underpants a wide berth.



Most of those in the next picture are giving me a back view, but these are some of the 2km route youngsters blasting their way to the finish.


The fancy dress department had been busy!



Finally, as on Saturday, I joined the 'Tail Walker' entourage, all dressed in blue, for the short walk back to the stadium.


So, those running events were the highlights of my weekend.

No comments: