Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Wednesday 4 February 2009

Tuesday 3 February 2009 – Fun in the Sun

Sue and I enjoyed a sunny ski from Kingsmere, quickly reaching Shilly Shally cabin, pictured below.

From here, back-country trail number 12 undulated its way for a kilometre across to trail 3. It took all of 30 minutes. (We average a good 7kph on the normal tracks.) Sue enjoyed it. She is more expert than me. Here she is on the narrow trail.

I kept falling over. I don’t think I’ll be doing any more back-country trails without some tuition! See me struggling up this minor hill. It’s harder than it looks. I certainly seem to make it harder than it should be!

It was a lovely day, however, and once on trail 3 I could enjoy the scenery, the snow glistening between the trees, and the views from Ridge Road, which we joined near Huron Cabin and headed along towards Western, before taking #1B to the Lookout. I’m happier now, despite the ice at this point.

We descended to Keogan Cabin for lunch. It was full when we arrived. Empty when we left. Perhaps Sue’s merino top that she has been testing needs a rinse!

With no fresh snow for a few days the trails have quickened, though they can hardly be said to be icy. This was however enough to make me walk down the steep section of #1 just before we turned onto #30. Whilst previously on this trip the corner (shown in a video a few days ago) has been quite easy, discretion was the better part of valour for me, here, today.

We swished and stumbled (me only) along for another 21km today, taking from 10.35 to 14.10, including 45 minutes of breaks.

No comments: