Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Saturday 10 November 2018

Fitbit Dead

This Fitbit gadget was a free replacement for the original Fitbit when the strap on that one broke.

This one still works. In my pocket, so no heart rate monitoring. Not that I pay much attention to that feature.

It's now out of warranty, which is restricted to a two year period under EU rules. It's just one year in the USA, where I wouldn't have got any replacement under warranty, so for that I say thank you to the EU legislators.

Will I get another one? Probably. 

5 comments:

Gayle said...

Yesterday I superglued the strap back onto my third Fitbit Surge (the second and third being warranty replacements for the first). Having held this one in reserve until the strap completely detached from No 2, I only took it out of its box in July. So, four months from new to falling apart. I'm currently looking at alternative brands...

Phreerunner said...

I think mine has gone beyond the superglue solution. The two that I have had have lasted three years. Alternatives to be researched. Let me know how you get on.

Gayle said...

I think you're right, although when the strap completely fell off No. 2 at a time when I didn't have any Internet access to set up No. 3, I did manage to hold it together for a few more days with lashings of electrical tape!

Phreerunner said...

Though not a fitbit product, it seems that some third parties are managing to produce replacement straps ('bands') for the Surge. Possibly worth a £10-15 investment rather than buying a new gadget.

John J said...

I've heard that some of the third-party repalcement straps are well worth the dosh. It seems a shame that Fitbits fail due having such a poor quality strap fitted. It's often the way with such electronickery - it's the mechanicals that fail rather than the electronics.