Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Tuesday 27 April 2021

Slide Scanning - 1 January to 3 February 1980 - mainly a Lomond Trip



Well, I've scanned them and binned all but a few of the slides, so I may as well do something with the scanned images.

I must have returned from the Wasdale trip to see in the New Year in Manchester. New Year's Day must have seen a break in a tradition of visiting the Lakes or Snowdonia. Instead, I paid a visit to Delph, probably with Nell and Mark. That accounts for the first two images, labelled 'Delph' and 'Oldham from Grains Bar (sunset)'.


On 6 January, a visit to Monsal Dale generated this picture of Ruth.


On 13 January quite a large group of us visited Rivington and Winter Hill. Here's Bob Selig at Rivington. Bob may feature in earlier escapades, but won't appear much after this due to his move with Annie to Denmark. 

I wonder how much of this you remember, Bob?


We passed the Pigeon Loft, built in 1910, and with Lady Leverhulme's sewing room on the top floor. It was renovated in 1974 and re-roofed in 2005.


The next slide appears to have deteriorated with age, but it seems that Laurie (RIP) and Bob accompanied me, Nell and Mark, and a family of three whose identity I can't recall. Perhaps Mark will remember? That's Rivington Tower in the background, and some very icy bog in the foreground.


A visit to Kinder Reservoir on 20 January generated another slide with bizarre hues.


On the weekend of 26 and 27 January, Ian Carr, Laurie, Dave and I enjoyed a weekend based at the campsite at Ardlui, beside Loch Lomond. This was one of several such trips. I've already reported on those that took place in 1985, 1986 and 1988.

On this occasion, we were blessed with wonderful weather on the Saturday, when we climbed Ben Vane (3004'). These pictures have come out much better, and I hope they speak for themselves. If you click on one of them, as always if you are using a PC, you'll see a better image and have access to a slideshow. The captions below are below the relevant images.





At the summit, with Ben Lomond.


On the summit (with the Trossachs behind Laurie).



Lunchtime.



Looking back to the summit of Ben Vane.


The view north.


Sunday's weather was cold and overcast. Our transport at this time was my second company car, a Ford Cortina Estate, which performed pretty well on the whole. We went for a walk up Glen Falloch and got some good views from above the snow line.


My memory is unclear, but I suspect this may have been a trip when the pleasures of the hostelry at Ardlui, and the cold weather, dictated a late night after a lot of fluid. So the nursing of hangovers may have inhibited us from reaching any summits. I certainly didn't record any Munro ascents.


Here are two views in Glen Falloch.


The final trip in this little series was with the Cragrats in the Brecon Beacons, on 2 and 3 February 1980. This was a connection with Martin Elliot, who I had met two or three years earlier in Torridon.

I don't remember much of this, but we clearly had a walk on the Saturday, with some interesting sploshing across rivers. Dave may have been with me on this trip.



We were in the area of Fan Hir, which we ascended in the mist. The descent to Llyn y Fan Fawr provided the best photo opportunity of the trip.


Lower down, there was a good view towards Gwyn Arms.


On the Sunday, a trip to Ystradfellte saw us crawling through a rather wet cave, which I do remember. Here we are, at base, with Martin Elliot pictured on the far left.


That's all for now, I hope those who feature in this dive into the archives enjoy the memories as much as I have done.

Coming soon - 'Torridon 1980'.

No comments: