Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Friday 20 June 2008

Thursday 19 June 2008 - New Boots

My year-old Asolo Fugitive boots are not actually worn out, but as I discovered yesterday they do leak and I have my doubts as to whether they will survive a 500 mile walk in the Alps.

As no shop in Manchester (to the best of my knowledge) can provide the dual service of boot-fitting and a good stock of boots, I headed off to my friends at Outside in Hathersage.

It took over an hour to decide on a direct replacement for the Asolos, so despite trying on several other boots that seemed equally comfy, I came away with ‘the same again’.

I’m sure they’ll start to leak at some point on the Alpine trip, but at least I’ll start with dry feet! Now, shall I take Sealskinz, or just two pairs of ordinary socks? Decisions, decisions.

The shop has a nice café for lunch, and I enjoyed the drive home through the Peaks, past Speedwell Cavern and up Winnats Pass.

Sadly, The Marquis of Granby, an old haunt at Bamford, was a mere shell, and finally about to be demolished – you can delete that ‘PH’ from your maps. But at Speedwell there were coach loads of children on school outings – hundreds of them having fun in the sun.

No comments: