Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Sunday 18 October 2009

Saturday 17 October 2009 – E4 Bike Ride again

After collecting a bag from Susan (looking very fresh after her long journey from Glastonbury CT) at Manchester Airport, and waving her off for a week’s travail in the Lake District with Brummie Dave, I took the opportunity to nip out to Marple for an hour’s exercise on ‘E4’.

It’s only a month since I was last here (report), and I was expecting some Autumn colours.  However, down by the River Goyt at Strines, in rather flat light, the season is drifting very slowly from summer to autumn.

1701GoytStrines

After 30 minutes the sun had emerged and I was enjoying tea and a stilton and salad butty at the picnic benches in New Mills.

1702newmillsbike

The Millennium Walkway is always good for a visit. 

1703walkway1

Today, as I tarried for the following photo, two ladies with a large dog preceded me along the walkway.  I found them, stuck, half way along, with their now terrified dog – it must have looked down and been gripped by a severe bout of vertigo.  It needed much coaxing to complete its walk.  Perhaps there should be a sign ‘We recommend you blindfold your nervous dog on the Walkway.’

Meanwhile, I was saddened by this plaque that I had not noticed before.

1704brewsterplaque

The ride continued uneventfully, with the repairs to the Fox Inn’s roof seeming to be progressing smoothly - I was not accosted here, nor was I stoned by trail bikers….

No comments: